If you read our article on teaching social media awareness, you may be looking for online tools to teach students about this subject. Here are some we recommend:
- #Hashtag You’re It–video; your hashtags may reveal more than you think
- 10 Social Media-inspired Learning Activities--no accounts required; from Ditch That Textbook
- How is Social Media Transforming the Future of Education? — As technology advances, traditional methods of learning and instruction are being challenged. Can we learn a complex subject? A video–the first minute will shock you.
- SMS Generator–fake SMS messages through ClassTools
- Social Media Revolution–video; great music–over 3 million views–don’t miss this one
- Social Media for Teachers–a simple guide for getting started using it in the classroom
- Spot the Troll–recognize fake SM accounts
- Teaching and Learning in the Age of Social Media–a TEDx Talks video
- When is your brain ready for Social Media? –video; good presenter; good for kids; part of a series of videos on SM
Always check our resources pages for updates to links. We do that about once a year. Here’s the Social Media page with most current links.
Jacqui Murray has been teaching K-18 technology for 30 years. She is the editor/author of over a hundred tech ed resources including a K-12 technology curriculum, K-8 keyboard curriculum, K-8 Digital Citizenship curriculum. She is an adjunct professor in tech ed, Master Teacher, webmaster for four blogs, an Amazon Vine Voice, CSTA presentation reviewer, freelance journalist on tech ed topics, and author of the tech thrillers, To Hunt a Sub and Twenty-four Days. You can find her resources at Structured Learning.