I have a great opportunity for:
- pre-service teachers
I have joined with Curriculum Study Group to teach online tech ed classes for teachers (only teachers). A little background on the program:
Who is Curriculum Study Group
It is a company name, but also a learning style. ‘Curriculum Study Groups’ are a powerful way to transform teaching and learning through online collaboration among teachers of the same subject and grade, under the guidance of master teachers. The goals:
- Magnify the impact of teachers, while providing them with potentially the most powerful professional development of their careers
- Reduce needless reinvention of the wheel, by enabling participants to build on the experiences and resources of master teachers
- Provide tangible support for lesson planning, instruction, and assessment that goes beyond what is offered in published curriculum
- Make high-quality, curriculum-based professional development available to any teacher, anywhere
- Assist teachers in addressing the challenge of meeting Common Core State Standards and other rigorous standards in specific content areas.
What is the Tech Ed Study Group
The Tech Ed Study Group focuses on 3rd-5th grade technology education, using the SL technology curriculum and the extra projects included in the How Technology Can Jumpstart the Inquiry-based Classroom (these must be purchased separately–not included in membership. If you already have them–you’re good!). I teach you how to teach technology, focusing on specific topics, but open to questions that arise from the group.
Every week, here’s what we do:
- I share a one-hour video of how to teach a topic or lesson, at a pre-arranged time so you can join me online if you’re available (via Google Hangouts). If you miss that, you can access the video at your leisure through the Google+ CSG Community
- I include all materials (excluding copyrighted materials from the books) that support teaching the lessons. This includes Word docs of textbook rubrics (which I finagled the publisher into allowing me to use–huzzah!)
- I answer questions you have about the lesson
During the school year, I’ll take you step-by-step through each grade level curriculum, but since we’re so close to June, I chose themes as a method of introducing this learning style. Here’s what I’ll cover in the next few weeks:
- How to be a good 3/4th grade digital citizen
- Digital Search/Research
- Tables, charts and data
- Creating and editing in MS Word
- Graphics organizers and visual representation of data
- Problem solving in tech
- Creating Trifolds
- Google Earth and the 3/4th grade classroom
- A Google Earth literary tour
- Book reviews with digital tools
- Online Communications
- Comparisons with Venn Diagrams
- Graphics (Word, Photoshop, online tools)
- How to survive on Landforms
Why join now–so close to the end of the school year
When you join a CSG during this Pilot phase and are one of the first ten members of a CSG, you receive free lifetime membership in the CSG of your choice. A limited number of spaces are available for current and preservice classroom teachers.
Hope to see you online! Questions? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jacqui Murray has been teaching K-8 technology for 15 years. She is the editor of a K-8 technology curriculum, K-8 keyboard curriculum, K-8 Digital Citizenship curriculum, and creator of technology training books for how to integrate technology in education. She is the author of the popular Building a Midshipman, the story of her daughter’s journey from high school to United States Naval Academy. She is webmaster for six blogs, CSG master teacher, an Amazon Vine Voice book reviewer, Editorial Review Board member for Journal for Computing Teachers, presentation reviewer for CSTA, Cisco guest blogger, a monthly contributor to TeachHUB, columnist for Examiner.com, featured blogger for Technology in Education, and IMS tech expert. Currently, she’s editing a techno-thriller that should be out to publishers next summer. Contact Jacqui at her writing office or her tech lab, Ask a Tech Teacher.